Here is an update on last night’s (4/09/2018) CAMPO (Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization) meeting of the (TCB) Transportation Policy Board. There were many high powered board members present including:
- CoA Mayor Steve Adler,
- Dist 6 Council Rep Jimmy Flannigan,
- Dist 10 Council Rep Alison Alter,
- Dist 5 Council Rep Ann Kitchen,
- Travco Judge Sarah Eckhardt,
- Travco Commissioner
- (Precinct 3) Gerald Daugherty,
- Travco Commissioner (Precinct 2) Brigid Shea,
- Cedar Park Mayor Matt Powell
- Will Conley - TPB Chair
- And others.
Speaking to the TCB board on behalf of road improvements for RM620 from US 183 down to Mansfield Dam were the following:
- Myself (Randy Lawson) on behalf of Canyon Creek HOA,
- Scott Crosby on behalf of River Place HOA,
- Brian Thompto on behalf of Steiner Ranch (SRNA),
- Morgan Briscoe on behalf of West Austin Chamber of Commerce.
Despite our heartfelt and rational arguments for the RM620 road improvement funding, the TCB has publicly announced that 34 projects have been recommended for funding approval for the 2019-2022 time frame and our RM620 project did not make the list.
Improvements to the south section of RM620 from Mansfield Dam down to SH71 did make the final recommendation list primarily because both the City of Lakeway and Bee Cave have offered to contribute $5 million each to the roadway improvement project, if approved.
I can provide more detailed info, including the list of recommended approved projects, if anyone cares to see it. While this is not the result we had hoped for, this ongoing RM620 road improvement project is more analogous to running a marathon rather than a 100 yard dash. It takes a lot of time, effort, and political persuading to make this happen, but we will not give up because of a temporary setback.